Being part of the IB world means that our students will receive a renowned academic international programme that will open the doors to universities all over the world! By delivering these high standards, we will give our children the future they deserve!
Welcome to Schloss Krumbach International School
Schloss Krumbach International School is a co-educational boarding school (Grades 7- 12) that takes a pioneering approach to modern education. It offers an innovative, ground-breaking model for secondary schooling that will last for generations. Located in a beautiful 13th century castle, the school is designed to accommodate a maximum of 120 students. The small student body allows us to custom tailor our teaching methods and guidance to meet the needs of each individual child. Our priority is to assist students in forming their unique personalities, while encouraging them to develop a sense of social responsibility by redirecting the idealism of youth towards fulfilling and recognizing the duties required of all good citizens.
Welcome from Head of School
Welcome to Schloss Krumbach International School!
At Schloss Krumbach International School, we create our own civic society. In this interconnected community, students learn to share rights and responsibilities, while building networks of trust and positive reciprocity through cooperation. This educational approach fosters creativity and allows students to effectively discover for themselves what they’re truly interested in through trial and error. Perhaps more importantly, it also gives them a head start on developing essential professional skills by teaching them to work as a team for the collective good of their small society. This lesson couldn’t be more relevant given the environmentally and politically turbulent times we live in.
Dr. Oksana Volozhanina
A castle is more than just a building – it rises above the surroundings with its mighty appearance and thus becomes an important part of the landscape around it (Dr. Bruno Schimetschek, Schloss Krumbach – seine Herren und seine Geschichte, 1993, Druck: Mayrhofer).
Krumbach Fortress was first built in the 11th century, but the current building dates to the 13th Century. The estate passed into the possession of the noble Pálffy von Erdöd family in 1629. There have been several changes of ownership since 1875. The castle had been used as a hotel for the last 30 years.
Now, it has embarked upon new era as an international school, whose doors and gates will remain open to all.
To educate, develop, and inspire our students to reach their full potential and contribute to the creation of a better and more peaceful world by providing a first-class education in a multicultural environment.
Schloss Krumbach International School provides a holistic education in a place where all students feel confident and cared for. Having received a first-class education in an open-minded international and multicultural environment, our students become thoughtful, active, and caring members of local, national, and global communities.
At Schloss Krumbach International School, we provide young people with the freedom to develop as unique individuals, while instilling a sense of social and political responsibility.
Discover yourself by working together!
Location and Facilities
Located in a 13th century castle, Schloss Krumbach International School gives students the chance to learn in an environment surrounded by history and beauty.
Teachers and Team
The academic excellence at Schloss Krumbach rests on the expertise, talent, enthusiasm, and drive of our teaching faculty. Our teachers are very approachable and eager to share their ideas with our students and community. Guest professors from institutions and companies around the world are also invited to deliver engaging courses and lectures that challenge and inspire our students.
Our school helps students to develop individually and to grow personally while working collaboratively on their educational goals.
Middle School Principal Schulleiterin
One of the cornerstones of our school is commitment to flexibility and having all voices heard. We encourage students to take the lead in as many aspects of the school as possible. The IB DP programme is the near perfect blend of specialisation (HL subjects) and still being exposed to a broad range of subjects. We combine the students rights and powers with responsibility and encourage them to think outside the box. At SKIS, they learn how to meet the challenges of tomorrow successfully.
High School Principal. Teacher of Biology. IB DP Coordinator
Being greeted with these surroundings every day changes your outlook on life. It would do at any age, but when you are young it makes such an incredible impact in lots of ways. Students of Schloss Krumbach International School are focused on fundamental knowledge. They learn not only the foundations of their disciplines, but also discuss the contentious issues of the topic, as well as its applicability in the wider world.
Studying history and social sciences gives students much more than just subject knowledge: they develop critical thinking skills, learn how to analyse and interpret large amounts of information, and, most importantly, they realize and experience what it means to be a responsible citizen in an open global society. In the lessons, students interact with each other and participate in conversations, but not at the expense of content comprehension. This balance between teaching and discussion yields the most effective results.
Digital Design in Krumbach School is the place where the creative and the technical meet. Today, digital skill sets are like a third language everyone should learn to be prepared for the modern world.
Our English program is designed for every student’s needs. All pupils arrive with a rich cultural and linguistic heritage and leave the school with absolute confidence in English.
Why are drama lessons incredibly important to our students? Acting improves students’ presentation skills, makes them more confident in front of an audience, and helps them to become convincing speakers.
Our everyday life and our modern world are shaped and formed by all kinds of applied art. This ranges from classical pictorial works, such as paintings and sculptures in museums and public spaces, from photography and film and new media to the simplest, functional everyday objects, such as ceramics, furniture, or clothing. Art is everywhere – and it is through art that we can better understand not only our own but also foreign cultures, and thus understand and actively participate in the development of our society, our past and also our future.
Unique in its educational strategies and innovative teaching approaches, Schloss Krumbach International School is becoming ever more relevant in 2021. The unique castle setting of the school provides both the opportunity to focus on academic excellence in a secluded location away from the distractions of urban life as well as access to the latest developments around the globe via modern technology. SKIS is a very forward looking institution. In our increasingly international world, being multilingual is vital to professional success, and that is what we promote at SKIS. Our students learn to master many languages while experiencing multicultural dialogue. This is what it means to be a 21st Century millennial. I chose to work at Schloss Krumbach International School because of the unique opportunity to invest my energy in an enthusiastic group of students in an environment that inspires to study and create.
Head of Department of Languages | Teacher of English
Join the Team
At Schloss Krumbach, you will be living, working, and teaching in one of Austria’s most beautiful holiday regions, the Bucklige Welt.
Preserving nature and promoting sustainability play an important part in our vision. We are committed to Outward Bound expeditions. Young professionals and their family members will find Schloss Krumbach an attractive place to work, and our Education Centre organizes plenty of extracurricular activities to get involved in.
At Schloss Krumbach International School, we strive to be part of the Global Schools Program. This initiative is led by the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network Youth Initiative (SDSN Youth) in support of UNESCO’s Global Action Program on Education for Sustainable Development (GAP-ESD).
Brief School Facts
1. Accommodation: A 5-star hotel converted into a dormitory with high-quality, spacious double rooms that meet national and international standards for school accommodation.
2. After-School Care: Experienced boarding school educators supervise and take care of students once classes are over.
3. Student Ages: 12-19
4. Curriculum: Internationally recognised curriculum with additional teaching units based on the curriculum of an Austrian AHS (Upper School), as well as Student Government committees. The school is a candidate to receive IB Diploma status in the near future.
5. Education Centre: Offers special courses, lectures, holiday/weekend camps, student Olympiads, and workshops in various subjects, as well as special teacher training.
6. Educational Concept: To provide a high-quality, holistic education based on progressive teaching principles, while encouraging children to develop independence, discover their potential, contribute to their community, and participate in student government.
7. Enrolment: The admissions process begins in June, but applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible to ensure maximum possibility of acceptance.
8. Extracurricular Activities: At Schloss Krumbach International School, we offer a variety of activities, from soccer and tennis to art exhibitions, chess clubs, and Outward-Bound wilderness expeditions. With expert instructors and guides, our students improve their skills, discover new interests, and quickly realise that new challenges are often the most rewarding motivators.
9. Facilities: The school is located in a castle that is situated on a hilltop between two forest reserves overlooking the village of Krumbach, which is about a one-hour drive from Vienna. Security systems and guards on campus ensure that our students live in a safe environment. The school’s facilities include spacious classrooms, two libraries, student lounges, a sports field, a computer lab, a chapel, a concert hall with a grand piano, castle towers, an art room, a music facility, and more.
10. Director: Dr. Oksana Volozhanina
11. Guided Freedom: One of our most important teaching principles is ‘guided freedom’. As participants in their student government, the children are involved in decision making with regular guidance from adults.
12. Healthcare: Schloss Krumbach School has its own school nurse and there are doctors available in the village of Krumbach.
13. International: Students from all nations are welcome (8 countries currently represented).
14. Language Instruction: Classes are conducted in English and German, studying one’s native language is mandatory, additional languages are chosen by the student.
15. Location: Schloss 1, 2851 Krumbach
16. Maximum Students: 120
17. Meal Plan: All meals are provided by the school’s dining hall, where talented chefs design a balanced diet for young people and offer special meals for those with dietary restrictions.
18. Media / IT Resources: Schloss Krumbach’s information technology resources, including internet access, are provided primarily for educational purposes. Students are responsible for behaving well in this digital environment just as they are in the physical school environment. Special periods are set aside for students to have personal internet/social media time, but many alternatives to spending time on their phone are also available.
19. Mission Statement: Discover yourself by working together.
20. Schedule: Year 1: Classes: Monday – Friday, Weekends free (supervised accommodation on Schloss Krumbach School campus).
21. Scholarships: About 20 percent of our students are eligible to receive merit-based scholarships.
22. School Events: All pupils take part in at least one sport and one creative work group and are involved in at least one social or community service over a period of two years. These CAS (Creativity, Action, Service) activities are important pillars of life in international schools and colleges. As opportunities for cooperation largely depend on the school’s geographical, social, and cultural environment, interaction with the local Krumbach community is a priority.
23. School Levels: Grades 7-12, about 20 students per class.
24. School Management: With reference to the SQA – School Quality Concerning General Education (academic quality management system of the Federal Ministry of Education, Science, and Research, www.sqa.at ), the Schloss Krumbach International School sees the term ‘school management’ less as the activity of an individual person, but rather as the sum of all the management and coordination tasks completed at a school, to which a wide variety of participants, including specialist groups, project managers, specially qualified experts, and student advisors, contribute according to the principle of ‘shared management.’
25. Owner: Schloss Krumbach International School GmbH.
26. Sector: International co-educational boarding school, IB candidate.
27. Shared Governance: Daily life in the Schloss Krumbach International School is shaped by rules and practices that are developed in a democratic process which incorporates mutual respect and willingness to take on responsibilities for the benefit of the community. A wide range of elected offices, as well as student and staff committees, comprise the school’s student government.
28. Student Motto: We enter to learn and leave to achieve.
29. Teacher-Student Ratio: 1:3
30. Transport: Shuttle bus from Vienna to Krumbach.
31. Type of school: Private school based on Austria’s private school system statute (Private School Act) StF: Federal Law No 244/1962 (NR: GP IX RV 735 AB 787 p. 109. BR: p. 195.).
32. USP: Focus on academic preparation for a future university career, student government based on a shared governance model, emphasis on experiential education (a teaching philosophy that includes many methodologies by which educators purposefully engage with learners in direct experience and focused reflection in order to increase knowledge, develop skills, clarify values, and develop people’s capacity to contribute to their communities).
33. University/School Partnerships: Regular exchanges with partner schools on every continent, guest lecturers from universities all over the world.
34. Weekends: During the first year of school, there are two options available: weekend events or free weekends.
Partnerships & Collaboration
At Schloss Krumbach, we bring together like-minded people and unite businesses that share common values. Our aim is not only to deliver education of the highest quality, but also to integrate and work in close cooperation with the local community. Our partnership program also includes regular exchanges with partner schools on every continent and inviting guest lecturers from universities all over the world. Our goal is to support our students by bringing bright minds to Schloss Krumbach, while exchanging experience with other institutions and collaborating with educational experts.
Become part of our cohort of students
Apply online. Sign up for an interview. Get ready for a new school experience.
Find your study rhythm!